What AddressBase provides you with
Identify a property and locate it on a map with precision – using the X and Y coordinates we’ve assigned to the Royal Mail Postcode Address File (PAF)® data.
Understand the nation with PAF
Every address geo data record provides Royal Mail address information from PAF, the Unique Delivery Point Reference Number (UDPRN) and X and Y coordinates.
Track customer data
Using the basic classifications in AddressBase you can quickly filter between residential and commercial addresses, which is ideal for marketing purposes.
Need more technical information?
Read product guides, technical specification and further documents and support.
- Use cases
Reduce marketing costs
Our basic classifications – residential or commercial – will reduce the costs and increase the effectiveness of your direct marketing.
Confidence in data
In customer services, the need for accuracy is paramount. Have confidence in your front-line staff’s ability to look up addresses on a database of millions, quickly and efficiently
- Data theme
- Data structure
- Vector - Points
- Great Britain
- 1:1250 to 1:10,000
- GML 3.2.1
- Ordering area
- All of Great Britain or customisable area (5km2 tiles or user defined polygon)
- OS Data Hub plan
- Public Sector Plan
- Premium Plan
- Energy & Infrastructure Plan
Documents and Support
Getting started guides
- AddressBase, AddressBase Plus and AddressBase Islands - Getting started guideThe getting started guide provides instructions for using the product in different software applications. Users with limited technical knowledge will be able to follow this guide.v11.16 mbMarch 22, 2021
- AddressBase - Technical specificationThe technical specification provides detailed technical information about the product. It is targeted at technical users and software developers.v1743 kbMarch 22, 2021
- AddressBase, AddressBase Core, Address Plus and AddressBase Premium - Product guideThis product guide is an introduction to the AddressBase suite of products and provides information on all three products, their main features and creation process.v1278 kbMarch 22, 2021
- AddressBase - Header filesHeader files to use with AddressBase data.csvv11 kbAugust 19, 2019
- AddressBase products epoch datesFind upcoming and past epoch dates for our addressing products.link
- Open Identifiers policyWe encourage the widest possible use and sharing of UPRNs, through our Open Identifiers policy.link
- AddressBase products - Release notesThis release note provides information about the latest release of AddressBase and OS Open UPRN products.link
House to flat conversions
To find out detail such as houses that have been converted to flats, you'll need AddressBase Plus. it includes current properties and addresses sourced from local authorities, Ordnance Survey and Royal Mail. These are all matched to the UPRN and structured in a flat-file model.
AddressBase Plus has more records than AddressBase as it includes objects without postal addresses such as places of worship and community centres - as well as sub-divided properties. It lets you locate an address or property on a map, through the assigned X and Y coordinates.
Crucially, the cross-referencing information with OS MasterMap products via Topographic Identifiers (TOIDs) means you can view address data within a wider geographic context.
Paying Royal Mail royalties as a commercial customer
Royal Mail royalties are included in the licence fee. A separate Royal Mail royalty fee applies if you license the AddressBase data on External Transaction Solution (ETS) terms.
If the file size of your order is smaller than 2Gb, you can get it from our FTP server. in addition, public sector customers can download 5km chunk orders via our download service.
Data from Royal Mail’s PAF
The database is a vital component of the single address gazetteer database and is in each of the AddressBase products where there has been a match confirming the address to the LLPG address.
Get this product
What you get
- Key features
- Precision identification
- Understand the nation with PAF
- Track customer data
- Addressing and location
- Data structure
- Vector - Points
- Update frequency
- Every six weeks
How to access
Ordnance Survey's commercial network of Partners can help you with bespoke location solutions, derived from OS data
Ranging from global giants to single entrepreneurs, our Partners all use our location data to create innovative products and services. Their expertise ensures customers can benefit from using our data for a range of services. Find a partner for addressing and location mapping requirements.
Ready to get started with our data and APIs?
Choose your plan and create your account. Take the next step by signing up to the OS Data Hub and create your first project today.
Download Premium data from the OS Data Hub
If you're an OS Licensed Partner you can use the OS Data Hub to access OS data products and manage your account all in one place.
Government and public sector
OS Data Hub for PSGA members
If your organisation is a member of the Public Sector Geospatial Agreement, access the OS Data Hub to access our products.
Utilities and Telecoms
OS Connect support
Our Ordnance Survey Account Managers have specialist knowledge of projects for utilities and telecoms customers and should be your first point of contact for product enquiries.
For further help about how our data can transform your organisation, contact us todayContact us