What 1:50 000 Scale Colour Raster provides you with
Used for emergency services
1:50 000 Scale Colour Raster helps emergency control centre staff respond more effectively to calls. Using clearly shown landmarks, they can ask distressed callers if they can see the local pub or church, to pinpoint incident locations quickly.
We give you 1:50 000 Scale Colour Raster at a resolution of 254 dpi – and Partners at a staggering 660 dpi – so it looks stunning on today’s high-resolution displays, whether on desktop, tablet or mobile.
Plenty of places to visit
Tourist and heritage attractions of many types are shown on this mapping, so leisure app users can use it to find their way by road, footpath or cycle route to a place of interest, whether it’s a sports centre or a nature reserve.
Ideal for desktop publishing
When you need map extracts for a consultation document or a published magazine, you can open 1:50 000 Scale Colour Raster TIFF files in software like Photoshop and InDesign.
Need more technical information?
Read product guides, technical specification and further documents and support.
- Use cases
For local planners, this map helps you spot brownfield sites ripe for development, and analyse the quality of local transport links. Railways and important roads are clearly colour-coded.
1:50 000 Scale Colour Raster is a must-have map in any navigation app or device for walkers and cyclists. It depicts the landscape with superb detail and clarity.
- Data theme
- Data structure
- Great Britain
- 1:50 000
- TIFF 8-bit LZW compressed
- TIFF Palette 8-bit (256 colours) uncompressed
- Windows® BMP uncompressed
- Ordering area
- Customisable Area (20km2 tiles)
- Publication months
- OS Data Hub plan
- Public Sector Plan
- Premium Plan
- Energy & Infrastructure Plan
Documents and Support
Getting started guides
- 1 50 000 Scale Colour Raster - OverviewThe overview introduces the product and gives context for all users. It highlights key features, provides examples of potential uses for the product and lists details like file sizes, supply formats, etc.v3291 kbDecember 15, 2021
- 1 50 000 Scale Colour Raster - Technical specificationThe technical specification provides detailed technical information about the product. It is targeted at technical users and software developers.v3150 kbDecember 15, 2021
- 1 50 000 Scale Colour Raster - Map symbols legendThe legend for the 1:50 000 scale colour raster.v33.26 mbMay 4, 2022
- 1 50 000 Scale Colour Raster - Welsh map symbols legendThe Welsh language legend for the 1:50 000 scale colour raster.v33.22 mbMay 4, 2022
- Product refresh datesFind out the update frequencies of our premium products and the calendar months that they are updated.link
- Full tile listThe full tile list for 1:50 000 Scale Colour Raster.excelv228 kbDecember 12, 2023
- Change only update tile listChange only update tile list for 1: 50 000 Scale Colour Raster.excelv219kbDecember 12, 2023
- Georeferencing files and land and sea tilesGeoreferencing files put tiles of map data in their correct position when opened in a GIS. Sea tiles complete your product coverage on-screen.link
Defining your own areas
You can order 1:50 000 Scale Colour Raster by user-defined areas:
- Specific tile identities
- Administrative region
- Bounding box
It's also available covering:
- Great Britain
Tiles are, however, supplied whole rather than being clipped to fit geographic areas.
Palette of 256 colours
Converting to a monochrome image
Some software packages have a facility whereby you can load the colour image onto a computer and, using one of the command drop-down menus, select the greyscale option. This will change the colours on an image to shades of grey (greyscale). This is not the same output as monochrome where features in the file are either black or white.
Get this product
What you get
- Key features
- Used for emergency services
- Retina resolution
- Plenty of places to visit
- Ideal for desktop publishing
- Contextual or derived mapping
- Data structure
- Update frequency
How to access
Ordnance Survey's commercial network of Partners can help you with bespoke location solutions, derived from OS data
Ranging from global giants to single entrepreneurs, our Partners all use our location data to create innovative products and services. Their expertise ensures customers can benefit from using our data for a range of services. Find a partner for contextual or derived mapping requirements.
Ready to get started with our data and APIs?
Choose your plan and create your account. Take the next step by signing up to the OS Data Hub and create your first project today.
Download Premium data from the OS Data Hub
If you're an OS Licensed Partner you can use the OS Data Hub to access OS data products and manage your account all in one place.
Government and public sector
OS Data Hub for PSGA members
If your organisation is a member of the Public Sector Geospatial Agreement, access the OS Data Hub to access our products.
Utilities and Telecoms
OS Connect support
Our Ordnance Survey Account Managers have specialist knowledge of projects for utilities and telecoms customers and should be your first point of contact for product enquiries.
For further help about how our data can transform your organisation, contact us todayContact us